LG 42LD520 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV

I bought this TV from the big box retailer that constantly rolls back prices. The TV was actually cheaper than online. Overall I like the TV very much and I think the value proposition is excellent. My local Bestbuy had this TV on display.

I have three recommendations for people who are not technically inclined - like myself - and get this TV to utilize the TV's full potential:

1. Make sure you use an HDMI cable to connect this TV to your cable box. You need to make sure that your HDMI cable is at least version 1.3.
2. Get HD cable or satellite. Having HD channels makes a huge difference.
3. Make sure your cable box is set at 1080p output signal. Our cable box was set at a much lower picture quality and it took me a while to figure this out. Some cable boxes might adjust the output signal automatically, but not all do that.

If you follow these three simple steps you should be able to enjoy the full potential of the TV. Also, think about getting netflix and one of the blue ray players that allows you to stream netflix. The quality of some of the movies is just awesome.

My last recommendation is to get an additional warranty. LCD TVs seem to be more prone to failing than CRT TVs. There are huge differences in the cost of these additional warranties. So account for these differences in your comparisons when you shop around.
I spent close to an hour in the store comparing LCD TVs. This LG stood out with its sharp and bright colors. I used the store's Internet connection to check out the reviews but since it is a new model there wasn't many. The older model however was popular among gamers.

The speakers on this TV are hidden on the back and this gives it a neat look. The speakers also sound great. There are different sound options in the menu plus advanced picture controls. In "Intelligent Sensor" mode the TV adjust the brightness and color contrast according to the room lighting conditions. The picture quality is easy to setup using the picture wizard option.

This TV has three HDMI connections in the back to use with your laptop or desktop plus an RGB (VGA Cable). There is also a USB 2.0 port in the back. I connected a USB thumb drive and was able to listen to music and display my digital pictures on the screen.

Over all I am very pleased with quality of this LG model and recommend it to anyone who wants to buy a LCD TV for under $1k, and I mean not for picture quality but the size of the screen since this had as good, if not better, picture quality as other more expensive models in the store.