LG 42LG50 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV

I own a Panasonic 50 inch plasma TV - just can't rave about that TV. So, when I needed a 42 inch TV to attach to a PS3 - I was wavering between a plasma (yet again) and LCD tv (the first try). I know Panasonic Plasmas rock - but then again getting PC connectivity was very important consideration, Panasonic Plasma's didn't have a PC port (s-video ports are poor substitute for pc connectivity as picture quality is very very bad). For PC connectivity - you can't beat LCDs.

Made my mind to buy Toshiba Regza 42 inch lcd TV based on Reviews- Looked TVs at Circuit City, then again looked at Best Buy with my family. This LG set seemed to beat Toshiba both in clarity, and picture details in every one's opinion. Panasonic 42 inch (and 50 inch) 1080P plasma's (picture and) sound quality will blow any thing in 42-50 inch TVs and there is no doubt about it. This LG TV looks great - picture with PS3 in 1080P are stunningly beautiful, the set looks very nice and sound quality is good (and crisp) (but volume doesn't go very high as I would have liked too and is only about half of comparable Panasonic's 42 inch plasma set.). The sound output could have been a bit better for a 1200 dollar set - not so here. Overall, this is a good set for bedrooms, basements and for playing games and watching Blueray movies. After having the set for two weeks, I can say that HDTV reception is awesome and unbelievably good, and as good as it gets on any thing. The SD TV reception (via comcast box) is quite good - but a notch below than my Panasonic plasma TV's SD picture where picture has more feel and warmth and colors are much sharper (that is more to do with LCD versus Plasma than this particular set's weekness in my opinion). If you buy this set- you won't regret it. This set looks very good and performs very well. I would very much recommend it. Here is short summary:

HD Picture Quality - 5***** Superb, Fantastic
SD Picture Quality - 4**** Very Good but not as sharp as equivalent Panasonic Plsama's
Sound Quality - 4**** Sound Quality is Good, and Crisp, Bass is a bit lacking when compared to Pany Plasma.
Sound Volume - 4*** (More than enough for daily use, but not loud enough for occasional Party blasts of music Videos. I would recommend external speaker or a home theater system. ).
TV Set look and Feel - 5***** Excellent, Beautiful

Connectivity: Has 3 HDMI ports. One more HDMI would have been good as every thing is moving in that direction. Plenty of other ports. RGB port and USB Port for laptop connectivity. Audio (optical/ coax, streao) output for home theater conenctions.

I've had this TV for a week. Hooked it up to a Comcast HD/DVR via HDMI. HD channels are spectacular as you would expect. Seems to do a good job with SD channels. Black levels seem perfectly fine to me. Overall design is very attractive with hidden speakers and a simple thin chrome strip across the bottom and a light that glows red when in standby and blue when on. Sound quality is very good for a TV. Picture quality was pretty good out of the box. I did reduce the backlighting and red a bit. Liked that it has both a USB and VGA input in this price range. Got it for $1215. Photo viewing is good. Can play background music and slide shows from folders on the USB drive. The remote says its universal, but I cannot get it to work with the Comcast box or my Toshiba DVD. Did get my Comcast remote to work with the TV so not really a problem. No regrets. Would buy this again.