LG 42LH30 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV, Gloss Black

I've been researching 40-42" HD TVs for months, looking for the ideal match for my needs that fit my budget of under $1,000. I looked at plasmas, 120Hz LCDs, 40", 42", Sharp, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, Vizio, Westinghouse, and LG.

I finally found it - on sale for almost two-hundred off (exactly eight-hundred-and-nine dollars). Would still be a great value at a thousand dollars.

I'd rather have too much control than too little with my electronics. The 42LH30 delivers all the control I want and more, but it also provides several nice presets for the type of content I'm watching (movies, sports, games, standard). It also lets me build 2 presets myself for exactly what I want. I can be picky or I can be lazy and still get a great picture for any situation.

The 50,000 dynamic contract ratio and 5ms refresh speed make for a superb picture/performance combo.

I was very close to going with a 120Hz 42" Vizio. They have been getting decent reviews. When the LG 42lh30 went on sale, it was a deal I could not refuse.

Some things I really like.

1) Outstanding picture (no compromises with colors)
2) Great performance (sports and movies don't judder at all so far)
3) Energy Star (several low power modes - I love flexibility)
4) Lighter than most (easy to hang on wall - I use an articulating arm)
5) Anti-glare awesomeness (I have lots of windows in my 3-seasons room)
6) Outstanding PC screen (when I just have to surf on the 42")
7) Upconverting DVDs look phenomenal (blu-ray player is next purchase)
8) Sound is more than acceptable on TV (I usually output audio to my Home Theater system if I will be watching for more than a few minutes)

Things I would change:

1) Only 3 HDMI ports (Fine for me now with cable box, DVD player, and PC)
2) I'd prefer a matte black bezel instead of a gloss finish
3) Maybe add an SD-card reader (my DVD player has SD and USB reader, fortunately)

Overall a great TV. I had bought a samsung, but it was too thick for my taste. I did notice the "lip sync" problem when using the TV's speakers to watch TV. This is a problem with how the TV gets the digital input from the Dish DVR that I am using. The fix is to hold the MENU button on TV (on Left side of TV) at the same pushing the MENU button on the the remote control. Then enter "0000" for the code. This will access the system menu. Go down to "Lip Sync" and adjust the number up or down till the lip movements matches the sound coming out of the speakers.